Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fudge-y Oat bars

This weather lately has just got my whole household down.  I haven't  baked in a long while, and so decided to make a little something sweet today to cheer everyone up a bit.  These are based on the Starbucks Oatmeal Chocolate bars, or whatever they are called, but are soooo much better. Just look at these:


I mean, really.  You know you want one.  There are a million recipes for these on the Internet and in cookbooks, they go by the name of Chocolate Oat Bars, Chocolate Revel Bars, and others, if you care to look.  In our house they are just plain old  Fudge-y Oat Bars.  I wish I could remember where I got the recipe from many years ago, but I can't.  I can, however, pass my recipe on to you lucky folks.

Fudge-y Oat Bars


Cookie crust:

1 cup softened butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs 2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups oats

Cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the eggs, then the vanilla.  Once mixed, add the flour, baking soda, and salt.  Once combined add in the oats.  I do all this in my mixer, but you could do it by hand just as well.  Press two thirds of the cookie mixture into a greased 13x9 pan.  Put the remaining one third of the cookie dough aside while you make the filling.

Filling:

1 can sweetened condensed milk (how can these not be delish with this stuff in them?!)
1 (10 oz or so) package chocolate chips (I used Hershey Special Dark Chipits)
2 T butter
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla

Combine the above in a saucepan and melt over low heat until just smooth.  Pour over the cookie dough in the pan.  Dot the remaining cookie dough over the top; you won't cover all the chocolate mixture, and indeed you shouldn't.  Bake at 350 F for 25 to 30 minutes (mine take 30min).  Cool and cut into bars.

6 comments:

  1. Oooh, they look WICKED!
    and not in the new-fangled sense of the word either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg Michelle! They look so tempting but I must resist...

    Melanie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those look amazing! I'll report back after I've made the recipe.

    BTW, love the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, they were delish! A good keeper of a recipe. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you liked them, Julie:)

    ReplyDelete